Unshelve pending change to different branch in TFS

Most of the time at workplace we start developing in feature branches because we are not what is the exact release date for a particular major feature in enterprise development. Sometimes though the dates are fixed they may be altered because of various 'god only knows' causes.

So, challenge is once we develop in a feature branch how do we port code to a specific release branch using TFS powertools command line. I have done this many number of times but every time I need to do it again I make a mistake with syntax or workspace which makes me do Bing/Google. Writing the command line here in my blog will help me quickly refer it and helps others like me :)

I am not adding any screenshots here. But it is not a big deal for simple shelve. Once I recreate a use case for complex merge scenario along with unshelve change migrate, I will add screenshots.

So, it all drill downs to below command

1. go to Run > Cmd  and press enter

2. change directory to a folder where TFS workspace is registered. For me it is

 $/ is mapped to C:\DotNetRoot

3. execute below command



tfpt unshelve "shelveset name";shelvesetUser /migrate /source:"$ path of source" /target:"$ path of target"


Will try to add screenshots soon


Comments